Thursday, August 2, 2012

Halftime Interview!!

Yesterday, at one o'clock in the afternoon, among piles of boxes and mounds of books, I sat on the floor of my mostly empty apartment at Purdue talking to the editor of Halftime Magazine. She asked me to tell her a little about myself. I discussed my musical background and education. She asked what I've been doing since graduation. I told her about writing for DCW and A Beautiful Thing and working at Nordstrom. She asked what one of my favorite articles was or if I have any ideas for articles that could be used in the magazine, (of course I do!) so I told her about those, which she seemed to like.

She gave me three options of positions that might be available for the magazine:

1. Editorial Intern- The original position I applied for. This is an unpaid internship where I would eventually get to write several feature stories for the magazine and learn a lot in the process. While unpaid isn't great, I really need the experience, and I had accepted this going in.

2. Freelance- Freelance work is paid contract work. However, they only use a freelancer about once a year, so I wouldn't get much experience.

3. Part-time- She proposed the idea of a part-time position as their web editor. Currently, her assistant editor is suppose to be doing the web content as part of her job. However, they are both so busy, it hasn't really happened. Halftime's website has an exclusive web section that is suppose to contain articles that are not in the actual magazine. My job would to write articles to be posted online, give synopses of press releases, and post interesting articles online. Because the magazine doesn't have the funds to take on another salary yet, the position would start unpaid. Hopefully, eventually, it would turn into a paid position.

I chose to pursue option three. I am really interested in web work and using online media in a business setting. She felt badly about proposing an unpaid position because I've graduated, but I'm excited for the experience. She asked me to email her the articles I wrote for Drum Corps World, then she's going to call me to discuss the job further.

She ended the interview by asking me if I was a magazine, what would the title be and why. Titles are not my strong point, especially not on the spot. I went with Written Musically.

No comments:

Post a Comment